For this month’s community call we’re going to try something a little different, and instead of hosting speakers, we will create space to brainstorm ideas and share experiences of running virtual and hybrid meetings. In the spirit of “working out loud,” we invite you to join the call to connect with your fellow community managers and meeting organizers to pool your knowledge. At the end of the call, we’ll synthesize what we all learn and share it on the CSCCE blog.
How will this work?
We will set up four themed breakout rooms with expert moderators from the CSCCE community to guide you through a series of prompts. CSCCE staff will support the rooms by taking notes and collecting resources, leaving you free to vent, brainstorm, and problem solve with others who are working to make virtual and hybrid events more accessible and inclusive.
We plan to allow around 30 mins in each room, with the option of then rotating to another room or staying in the same one to continue your conversations.
The four rooms will be:
- Meetings from the participant’s perspective
- Things you’ve enjoyed that you’ve attended
- Examples of good communications
- Programming, socials that worked
- Hybrid meetings and events
- What to bear in mind to encourage participation from everyone
- Tech tips
- General event planning
- Things to plan for in advance of your event
- Volunteer or supporting staff roles
- Ways to include community members from the outset e.g. session suggestions, steering committee
- Surviving the day of the event
- Tech tips
- Roles to plan for
- Other tips from the inside…
Who should attend?
We’d love to hear from anyone who’s attended, hosted, or planned an online event in the last year or so. We also welcome anyone who’s starting to think about what inclusive and accessible hybrid events will look like, with the gradual reliance on all-virtual gathering.
Join March’s Community Call to:
- Find out what works and what doesn’t at virtual meetings
- Consider accessibility and inclusion for virtual and hybrid events
- Brainstorm solutions to problems you have encountered, or feedback you have received from event participants
- Connect with fellow scientific community managers and grow your professional network
How to join
March’s call will take place on Wednesday 17 March at 11am US Eastern Time. Please note this is an earlier time that 2020’s calls to be more accessible for all of our members.
Our calls are hosted in Zoom – simply click here and we’ll see you in the webinar!
Video or not? You’re welcome to turn on your webcam if you like but fine if you prefer just to use audio.
Our community calls last 90 minutes. Come for the first hour – or for the full 90 mins, as your schedule permits!
ADDITIONAL INFO ABOUT OUR COMMUNITY CALLS
Our community calls usually take place on the third Wednesday of every month at 11am Eastern, but occasionally times and dates vary depending on speaker availability so please keep an eye on our calendar of events.
Wonder what we’ve talked about in previous calls? The archive listings can be found here, with select recordings available on YouTube.
Not yet in our Slack group? Request to join here.