As part of our programming to nurture a community of scientific community engagement managers and those interested in scientific community engagement, we host a monthly community call via Zoom.
(You can find the archive of Community Call info from 2019 here)
We typically host our community calls at 2pm EST on the third Wednesday of each month, although speaker availability may result in scheduling changes. Abstracts and speakers will be updated as the schedule is co-created. The listings below reflect the most up-to-date information.
We welcome input about the topics for discussion – both ahead of time and during the calls. Please let us know if you’d like to present – or suggest a new topic for a call!
We will also share information about our community calls in our monthly newsletter.
January 2020 Community Call
Date: Wednesday 29th January 2020 at 2pm EST
Topic: Entering the new phase of CSCCE community programming – survey results, new working groups and what else is coming in 2020.
Abstract: Join us to discuss:
- Initial results of our first survey of the members of our community of practice on Slack
- Opportunities to join some initial working groups
- CSCCE’s advisory board
- What else is coming – and you’d like to see – in 2020.
Speakers: Lou Woodley, CSCCE Director – and you!
Blog post: January’s community call
Zoom link: Click here.
February 2020 Community Call
Date: Wednesday February 19th at 2pm EST
Topic: Next steps in our Community Profiles project
Abstract: One of the activities that we’re focusing on in 2020 is building out a collection of downloadable Community Profiles of different scientific communities. These are intended to help scientific community managers find others who are trying – or have succeeded – at similar programming to their own.
As we start to ramp up this project, we’d like to introduce it in more detail and gather feedback about what would be most useful to you.
Join February’s Community Call to:
- Learn more about the Community Profiles project
- Share three key facts about your own scientific community (see blog post for more details)
- Learn from others on the call about their communities
- Suggest questions that you would like downloadable Community Profiles to help you to answer
Speakers: CSCCE community members. This will be a facilitated discussion aimed at helping us to continue to get to know one another and to build out resources that meet our collective needs.
Blog post: February’s Community Call
Zoom link: Click here
March 2020 Community Call
Date: Wednesday March 18th at 2pm EST
Topic: Community ambassador programs – what do they look like and what motivates the participants? Comparing the views of community managers and community members from CEFP surveys in 2017 and 2019.
Join March’s Community Call to:
- Learn more about the survey of community ambassador programs carried out by the CEFP2017 project team, the Advocacy Ninjas
- Learn more about what motivates community ambassadors from an early analysis of survey data gathered by the CEFP2019 project team, the Busy Bees.
- Discuss existing ambassador programs in scientific communities
- Meet and connect with others running scientific community ambassador programs
CEFP2017 project team: Advocacy Ninjas
- Allen Pope (presenting)
- Rosanna Volchok (presenting)
CEFP2019 project team: Busy Bees
- Toby Hodges (attending)
- Naomi Penfold (presenting)
- Kathryne Woodle (presenting)
Blog post: To come
April 2020 Community Call
Date: Tentatively Wednesday April 15th at 2pm EST
Topic: Creating inclusive scientific community events as a community manager – including the new guidebook by the CEFP2019 CALM events project team.
Speakers: TBD – to include members of the CEFP2019 CALM events team.
Blog post: To come