The Center for Scientific Collaboration and Community Engagement (CSCCE) is a research and training center to support and study the emerging field of scientific community engagement.
Scientific community engagement, also known as community management, refers to the human infrastructure that is necessary to support healthy and productive STEM communities. These roles include a range of job titles – from community manager, program manager, and network engagement manager to assistant director of a research center. In all cases, the purpose of community engagement is to connect and empower members to work together towards a common goal.
The goal and focus areas of the Center
The goal of CSCCE is to professionalize and institutionalize the role of the community engagement manager within science. All of our activities are in service of this.
Underpinned by an ethos of collaborative, evidence-based activities and the development of network-centric leaders, CSCCE has three focus areas:
Consultancy and Resources
Research to better characterize and support the emerging role of the scientific community engagement manager – including through collaborations with others.
These three areas are tightly interlinked – with the research informing training materials and organizational feedback signposting future areas for research and/or curriculum development.
Get started with CSCCE
There are multiple ways to engage with CSCCE, our vibrant community of scientific community professionals, and the resources we have published.
COMMUNITY OF PRACTICE
EXPLORE OUR RESOURCES
We’ve published more than 100 free resources, which have been downloaded more than 40,000 times.
Check out our three-part guidebook on the Community Participation Model:
Download our four-part virtual events guidebook:
Review what other scientific communities look like:
Explore scientific community manager roles:
Recent blog Posts
We regularly share news and knowledge on our blog.
- The Bicycle Principles – CSCCE collaborators, community members, and staff consider short form training best practices
- December’s Community Call: Join us for our annual community potluck!
- New CSCCE concept booklet explores the house party metaphor for community engagement
- Community participation guidelines – through the lens of the house party metaphor
- Exploring your community configuration using the house party metaphor
- Exploring community scaffolding using the house party metaphor
- Introducing the house party as a metaphor for exploring community management
Take a training
CSCCE offers a range of training options to support scientific community professionals. Enrollment is currently open for:
6-8 week online, cohort-based trainings.
- Scientific Community Engagement Fundamentals (CEF) – starting Thursday, 18 January 2024
- Creating Community Playbooks (PBK) – starting Tuesday, 16 January 2024
Our flagship, advanced training taking up to two years to complete.
- The CSCCE Community Manager Certification Program – starting Monday, 18 March 2024
Shorter, standalone, 90-120 minute events.
- Mini-workshop: Preparing for large-scale collaborations – Wednesday, 10 January 2024
- Mini-workshop: Designing for large-scale collaborations – Wednesday, 7 February 2024