The Center for Scientific Collaboration and Community Engagement (CSCCE) is a research and training center to support and study the emerging field of scientific community engagement.
Scientific community engagement, also known as community management, refers to the human infrastructure that is necessary to support healthy and productive STEM communities. These roles include a range of job titles – from community manager, program manager, and network engagement manager to assistant director of a research center. In all cases, the purpose of community engagement is to connect and empower members to work together towards a common goal.
The goal and focus areas of the Center
The goal of CSCCE is to professionalize and institutionalize the role of the community engagement manager within science. All of our activities are in service of this.
Underpinned by an ethos of collaborative, evidence-based activities and the development of network-centric leaders, CSCCE has three focus areas:
Consultancy and Resources
Research to better characterize and support the emerging role of the scientific community engagement manager – including through collaborations with others.
These three areas are tightly interlinked – with the research informing training materials and organizational feedback signposting future areas for research and/or curriculum development.
Join the conversations
We are working to nurture a vibrant community of scientific community professionals and those interested in scientific community engagement. Join the conversations in the following places:
Recent blog Posts
- An update on CSCCE staff changes: New year, new org chart!
- January, 2023 Community Call Recap: CSCCE’s plans for the next year
- Welcome to Maya Sanghvi – CSCCE’s newest Junior Trainer and Curriculum Assistant
- Welcome to Cat Dayger – CSCCE’s new Director of Operations and Technology
- January’s community call – What’s coming up for CSCCE in 2023
- New project: Open science cloud infrastructure and training for communities in Latin America and Africa
- 2022 CSCCE Resource Guide
COMMUNITY OF PRACTICE
EXPLORE OUR resources
Check out our three-part guidebook on the Community Participation Model:
Download our four-part virtual events guidebook:
Review what other scientific communities look like:
Explore scientific community manager roles