The Center for Scientific Collaboration and Community Engagement (CSCCE) is a research and training center to support and study the emerging field of scientific community engagement.
The goal and focus areas of the Center
The goal of CSCCE is to professionalize and institutionalize the role of the community engagement manager (CEM) within science. All of our activities are in service of this.
Underpinned by an ethos of collaborative, evidence-based activities and the development of network-centric leaders, CSCCE has three focus areas:
The Community Engagement Fellows Program (CEFP) and its alumni network, which provides a one-year, cohort- based professional development opportunity to existing scientific community engagement managers.
Training and Resources
The development and delivery of scalable, modular training materials, white papers and other professional development resources for individuals and organizations working to build or fund scientific teams and communities.
Research to better characterize and support the emerging role of the scientific community engagement manager – including through collaborations with visiting scholars.
These three areas are tightly interlinked – with the research informing training materials and organizational feedback signposting future areas for research and/or curriculum development.
Join the conversations
We are working to nurture a vibrant community of scientific community professionals and those interested in scientific community engagement. Join the conversations in the following places:
Recent blog Posts
- January’s community call recap: Project management tools for community managers
- It’s Community Manager Advancement Day! Some ideas to hone your skills and grow your professional network with CSCCE
- Community Manager Case Studies: What does it look like to be a community manager in STEM?
- January’s community call: Project management tools and best practices for community managers
- Opportunities to co-create with CSCCE in 2022
- Community calls coming up in Q1 of 2022
- What’s coming up in Q1+ for CSCCE’s professional development courses?
We host CSCCE’s online community of practice in Slack, bringing together scientific community engagement professionals from a range of scientific communities – including the CEFP2017 and CEFP2019 Fellows. You can request to join here.
- A guide to using virtual events to facilitate community building: Making a PACT for more engaging virtual meetings and events
- CSCCE Tip Sheet: Collaboration guides
- CSCCE Tech Tip Sheet – Zoom bombing: How to deal with bad actors during Zoom events
- A guide to using virtual events to facilitate community building: Selecting and testing online tools
- The CSCCE Skills Wheel – Five core competencies and 45 skills to describe the role of the community engagement manager in STEM
- A guide to using virtual events to facilitate community building: Curated resources
- DEI Tip Sheet: Captioning, subtitles, and transcription for online meetings and events
- CSCCE Community Participation Model
- A guide to using virtual events to facilitate community building: Event formats
We host monthly community calls to introduce some of the foundational ideas and activities of the Center and to connect community managers from different scientific contexts.
Upcoming community calls: