The Center for Scientific Collaboration and Community Engagement (CSCCE) is a research and training center to support and study the emerging field of scientific community engagement.
Scientific community engagement, also known as community management, refers to the human infrastructure that is necessary to support healthy and productive STEM communities. These roles include a range of job titles – from community manager, program manager, and network engagement manager to assistant director of a research center. In all cases, the purpose of community engagement is to connect and empower members to work together towards a common goal.
The goal and focus areas of the Center
The goal of CSCCE is to professionalize and institutionalize the role of the community engagement manager within science. All of our activities are in service of this.
Underpinned by an ethos of collaborative, evidence-based activities and the development of network-centric leaders, CSCCE has three focus areas:
Consultancy and Resources
Research to better characterize and support the emerging role of the scientific community engagement manager – including through collaborations with others.
These three areas are tightly interlinked – with the research informing training materials and organizational feedback signposting future areas for research and/or curriculum development.
Upcoming training courses
Scientific Community Engagement Fundamentals (CEF)
CSCCE’s foundational training for community managers in STEM.
Next cohort begins: 12 September 2024
Content Design (CODE)
Explore a strategic approach to designing and creating community-engaged content that energizes and inspires your community members.
Next cohort begins: 9 April 2024
Creating Community Playbooks (PBK)
Create core documentation for your community in collaboration with CSCCE staff and your STEM community manager colleagues.
Next cohort begins: 15 July 2024
Community Manager Certification Program
Deepen your expertise in core community management skills – including content creation, facilitation, and knowledge management.
Next cohort begins: 18 March 2024
Get started with CSCCE
There are multiple ways to engage with CSCCE, our vibrant community of scientific community professionals, and the resources we have published.
COMMUNITY OF PRACTICE
EXPLORE OUR RESOURCES
We’ve published more than 100 free resources, which have been downloaded more than 40,000 times.
Check out our three-part guidebook on the Community Participation Model:
Download our four-part virtual events guidebook:
Review what other scientific communities look like:
Explore scientific community manager roles:
Recent blog Posts
We regularly share news and knowledge on our blog.
- February’s Community Call: The informational roles of community-engaged content
- January Community Call Recap – Burnout, exhaustion, and fractals of care
- Evaluation project underway to assess the impact of CSCCE’s foundational training, Scientific Community Engagement Fundamentals
- January’s Community Call: The intersection of self care, community care, and community management
- December Community Call Recap – Reflecting, connecting, and looking ahead at our annual community potluck!
- The Bicycle Principles – CSCCE collaborators, community members, and staff consider short form training best practices
- December’s Community Call: Join us for our annual community potluck!
Take a training
CSCCE offers a range of training options to support scientific community professionals. Enrollment is currently open for:
Standalone, 90-120 minute events.
6-8 week online, cohort-based trainings. Registration is currently open for:
- Content Design (CODE24Sp) – 9 April – 17 May 2024
- Creating Community Playbooks (PBK24S) – 15 July – 29 August 2024
- Scientific Community Engagement Fundamentals (CEF24F) – 12 September – 31 October 2024
Our flagship, advanced training taking up to two years to complete.
- The CSCCE Community Manager Certification Program – starting Monday, 18 March 2024